Outside Activity Tracking System (OATS) Released
What is OATS?
OATS is a user-friendly, online system designed to assist faculty in complying with HSCP requirements. HSCP participants are to begin entering Category I and II outside professional activities, generating necessary prior approval requests, and tracking their time/earnings threshold balances through OATS. Prior approval requests in paper form will no longer be accepted.
The Policy Behind OATS: APM - 671, Conflict of Commitment and Outside Activities of Health Sciences Compensation Plan Policy
In accordance with APM - 671, Health Sciences Compensation Plan members are required to:
- maintain good standing per the terms outlined in their department’s HSCP bylaws;
- maintain a running total of annual earnings from, and time spent on, outside professional activities;
- obtain prior written approvals to engage in Category I activity, to exceed a time or earnings threshold, or to involve a student in outside professional activity;
- deposit outside professional income that exceeds either the time or earnings threshold;
- submit an annual report of all Category I and II activities and compensation earned from such activities (or lack thereof);
- attest to adherence with requirements of the policy in the annual report.
How do I use OATS?
It’s easy! Go to the OATS website at https://oats.dgsom.ucla.edu/, enter your UCLA logon, and begin reporting your outside professional activity by selecting the green “Report an Activity” button. You will be directed to an interface to enter information regarding your activity. Based on your input, the system will categorize your activity and generate any needed prior approval requests. As activities are reported, a dashboard will track your time and earnings threshold balances.
The HSCP Policies, DGSOM Implementing Procedures, and OATS training materials are linked on the OATS homepage. Questions and problems can be directed to the OATS team at OATSemail@example.com.